Sunday, April 24, 2011

EDUC 6714 - Reflection

Reflection



Of course, I have always been aware that all my students are different. It usually only takes me a couple of days with my new students for the semester to begin to recognize the differences in them. Some of them are very quiet and may take quite some time to get comfortable with saying anything aloud in class, while other are very vocal from the start. At the same time, I have also realized my students learn and perform differently (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004). However, I must confess I have been very weak in understanding just how to properly identify these differences timely and develop my classroom instruction and assignments keeping these differences in mind (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004). Through this course, I have come to realize ways to do just that. I have discovered methods and practices I will be putting into place almost immediately making several adjustments in my teaching.


One of the most immediate adjustments I will be making in my classroom management is to asses my students’ backgrounds, learning styles, and learning profiles. I cannot begin to properly plan my lessons if I am not in tune to where my students are coming from, how they learn, or how they prefer to demonstrate what they know (Tomlinson, 2009). I plan to utilize online surveys, questionnaires, and assessments to help me identify the ways my students are different. I will use this date to guide the creation of my lesson plans and activities I assign (Tomlinson, 2009).


Learning about the Universal Design for Learning principles and Differentiated Instruction has greatly enlightened me as to how I can utilize the information gleaned from the surveys and profile assessments. I plan to make major adjustments right way in how I present material to my students. I have actually already begun to use multiple methods of presenting material to my classes, including having students present material to each other. I have started using audio recordings of information to give my auditory students a chance to gather the information in a method other than reading notes from the board. The adjustments I’m making now also include varying the assignments I make as my students are developing their understanding as well as creating more ways for my students to demonstrate what they know. Rather than just giving a test at the end of the unit, I am beginning to change my lessons to allow for students to work in groups and create, according to their learning preferences, products that demonstrate just as well if not better than a traditional paper test.


Making these adjustments is not quite as difficult as one might perceive. By utilizing technology, I can truly differentiate my lessons for the different learners who make up my classes (Smith & Throne, 2007). With technology, I can have my students receiving the material in methods they are more accustomed to using. While they don’t normally read notes from a board or listen to lectures in their daily lives, they do access websites and listen to iPods. Similarly, technology can also be utilized to have my students process the information and then demonstrate what they have learned. Students may not be great test takers, but can use desktop publishers, digital recorders, and produce multimedia presentations to demonstrate the same understanding tested, but in with tools they use every day (Smith & Throne, 2007).


This course has truly opened doors for me. I see not only the need to differentiate, but ways to assess the differences of my students and create differentiated assignments and lessons for my students (Tomlinson, 2001). Technology is the most practical tool for us to use to make our lessons varied and engaging for our students, who do indeed come from different backgrounds, have different learning styles, and different learning preferences (Tomlinson, 2001). I have begun making adjustments and believe I am already seeing results. I have big plans for the year to come.


References


Bray, M., Brown, A., & Green, T. (2004). Technology and the Diverse Learner: A Guide to Classroom Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.


Smith, G., & Throne, S. (2007). Differentiating instruction with technology in K-5 classrooms. Belmont, CA: International Society for Technology in Education.


Retrieved from Education Research Complete database.


Tomlinson, C. (2001). How to differentiate instruction in mixed-ability classrooms. Alexandra, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.


Tomlinson, C. (2009). Learning profiles and achievement. School Administrator. 66(2), 28–33. Retrieved from Education Research Complete database.

No comments:

Post a Comment